Sunday, November 16, 2008

Icon Analysis

THREE ICONS





According to the Merriam-Webmaster dictionary, an icon means a pictorial representation, an object, a sign and a symbol. Also for me an icon can be a person that has influenced and changed person's life. The three icons that I have chosen are Giuseppe Verdi, Laura Pausini and The Simpsons. I chose them because they represent a change in history and society. And in some way they have had an influence on my family and me.


Giuseppe Verdi (1813- 1901) was a composer, primarily of opera and his music has been performed all over the world. He represents the Elite culture in Italy and now he represents the popular culture, because he composed one of the most famous opera song “La Donna e Mobile” which has being recorded by many contemporary opera tenors. This song has become very traditionally within Italians because it says women are erratic, men trust in women because of their pretty face and when women are crying or laughing it means that they are lying. My grandfather was Italian and he used to hear that song and I chose it because I believe that this song has influenced his thoughts about women. I say this because he used to say never trust a woman when she talks in a loveable way.






Laura Pausini (1974) is an Italian singer, she sings in four languages (Italian, Spanish, French and English). She is very well known in Europe and Latin America. She transformed traditional romantic music in to romantic contemporary ballads. I chose her because I like her music and because I believe that her music used to be an inspiration in folk culture because she used to sing only in Italian, but now she represents the popular culture because she started singing in many languages.








I chose the Simpsons because I grew up watching this TV show. It is pretty funny and shows a typical American family. Also, it has been transmitted to many countries in many different languages. This show means a lot to me because my father and Homer have similar gestures, like when he says “OPS”. Bart and I are similar like when he gets upset with his father but the only difference between Bart and I is that I like school and I do my homework. Finally, this show has become part of the popular culture because of its success.



References

Icon. (2008). In Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Retrieved November 17, 2008, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/icon
Wikipedia. (2008) Giuseppe Verdi. Retrieved November 17, 2008, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Verdi
Laura Pausini. (2008). Laura Pausini biography. Retrieved November 17, 2008, from http://www.laurapausini.com

No comments: